GOOD SHEPHERD Council 5573
15613 South Rt 59 Plainfield, IL 60544 (779) 456-7089
|Welcome to The Good Shepherd Council 5573|
Jerry Burns is the current Grand Knight for the 2016-2017 Fraternal Year.
The Knights can be reached by Email
Business Meetings are on the Second Thursday of the Month and our Social Meeetings are on the Fourth Thursdays of the Month begins at 7:00 pm.
Social Meeting are on the Fourth Thursday of the Month starting at 7:00 pm
Ladies Auxiliary meets on the Second Thursday of the Month at 7:00 pm, except for June,July and August
|October Update from Father John
Corporate Communion Sunday
Sunday, October 30, is a fifth Sunday of the month, which means it is a Corporate Communion Sunday. Join your Brother Knights and their families for Mass in Church at 7:30 AM. It is also our annual Priesthood Sunday Breakfast. Help is needed to help cook and serve the breakfast in the SMI school gym. Contact GK Jerry Burns if you are able to help.
Tickets are now available, and many have been sent to members via mail. Please return them as soon as possible, either at the next meeting or by mail. Tickets are $15 per booklet. Proceeds benefit both the Good Shepherd Council vocation programs and the State Council vocation programs.
PRIESTHOOD SUNDAY BREAKFAST
Council #5573 is hosting a breakfast this Sunday, October 30, in the school gym in support of Priesthood Sunday. Help is needed in cooking and serving, and certainly ALL are invited to the breakfast. Ask friends to come as well so that we can make this our best breakfast yet.
Pro-Life Prayer and Memorial Crosses
Over 300 white memorial crosses have been placed on the parish property near Route 59 the past two weeks. Each cross represents 100 babies lost through abortion each day. Everyone is invited to pray for greater respect for life and an end to abortion. We will pray near the crosses on Sunday afternoon, October 30, at 1:30 PM. Following the prayer, the crosses will be taken down, and we need help removing them. Please join us if you are able.
News about Upcoming Events
FOR OUR BETTER HEALTH: MEN'S HEALTH INITIATIVE
- With the National Elections on Tuesday, November 8, St. Mary Immaculate Parish is sponsoring an Election Novena that begins on Monday, October 31. Election Novena booklets are available at the parish. The booklets have a prayer for each of the nine days leading up to the election.
- Tuesday, November 1, is the Solemnity of All Saints, a Holy Day of Obligation. Masses in English are on Monday, October 31, at 7:00 PM, and on Tuesday at 7;30 AM, 8:45 AM (School Mass), Noon, and 7:00 PM. Mass in Spanish is at 7:00 PM, and Mass in Polish is at 8:30 PM.
- Wednesday, November 2, is All Souls Day, the Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed. Masses in English are at 7:30 AM and 7:00 PM. Mass in Spanish is at 7:00 PM.
- On Election Day, November 8, the parish will celebrate a special day to celebrate the coming closure of the Jubilee Year of Mercy. The Parish will gather at the Cathedral of St. Raymond, in Joliet, to walk through the Holy Door, celebrate Mass, and celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Our parish school junior high students will be attending. It is a holiday for our public school students, so parents are invited to attend with their children. All are encouraged to participate in this parish Day of Mercy.
- On the evening of election day, as the polls close at 7:00 PM, a living rosary will be prayed outdoors on the property of St. Mary Immaculate. Again, all are invited to join together in prayer for our nation as we await the results of the election.
If you are interested in joining a task force of brother Knights to look at how we can work together as Brother Knights to attain better heath -- losing weight, healthier eating, better exercising -- and gaining skills to deal with long term and short term diseases, please contact Father John Regan at
firstname.lastname@example.org. A couple of members have already responded to be a part of this group. We will look to see what programs already exist for men's groups and how they can be adapted to our needs. It will be a private, confidential group of men interested in getting better and willing to help other men live more healthy lives.
Keep Christ in Christmas Team Members Needed
Our annual project of encouraging everyone to keep the religious importance of Christmas as a priority of the holiday is in need of new support. For three weekends, Knights staff a table in the SMI commons area where buttons, bookmarks, Advent calendars, and other religious items are sold to help remind people to Keep Christ in Christmas. The weekends are November 19/20, November 26/27, and December 3/4. Three shifts are available each weekend: Saturday 3:30 to 6:00 PM, Sunday 8:00 to 10:30, and Sunday 10:00 to 12:30. Doug Waldron will be coordinating the project this year. If you are interested in helping with this important project, please contact Doug Waldron.
There are also opportunities to volunteer in the work of many committees for the coming year.
We need the help of all our members. If you have not been active in the Council the past few years,
NOW IS THE TIME to reactivate your participation in our charitable, service, family, and Church activities.
Please contact Jerry Burns to discuss where your interests meet the needs of the Council.
Pictures are under
Questions about our website? email@example.com